Friday 3 January 2014

Yearly Recap 2013!

I saw this list of questions on another blog somewhere and thought it would be a good way of recapping the year!

1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
I moved to the Czech Republic in the exact middle of the year. It’s been something that I know God had in store for three years and to see His faithfulness and provision lead to the point of me getting on the plane was an incredible thing.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Errr… ish. I resolved to no longer put sugar in my tea and, even though January was horrible, eleven months later the thought of sugar in my tea really grosses me out. I can even drink my coffee black and without sugar.

There are some resolutions I did passively, rather than intentionally. For example, while I probably know more Bible verses of by heart now I didn’t memorise them as intentionally as I’d have liked.

And there are some resolutions that never happened – like being able to run 5 kilometres.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
There were a couple of births in my community, yes. And it looks like 2014 is going to hold lots of births! Anyone have any good baby gift ideas?

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, my granny died in July.

5. What countries did you visit?
I was in America for two months in February and March, April saw me in Scotland, in May I was in Czech, Poland and Ukraine. June saw me move to Czech via a couple of days in England! In the autumn and winter I also travelled to Latvia, Estonia and Slovenia for work (and the Slovenia trip involved driving through Austria).

All in all, in 2013 I slept in thirty-five beds in eleven countries. And I was on twenty flights.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
More discipline with my time – that I would have time to get everything done but still rest well.

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
30th June – moving to Czech.
23rd August – my first night in my flat.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving the first six months of living in Czech!

9. What was your biggest failure?
Failing to be disciplined in taking more time to learn Czech!

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes, I got to have morphine for the first time when I contracted e.coli (the bad kind) when in the States.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A blue coffee table on castors from IKEA – I saw it in Belfast IKEA and knew I would want it in whatever flat I ended up getting in Czech. And it sits in my living room now.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Looking at my travelling schedule probably flight tickets and fuel!

13. What did you get really excited about?
God’s faithfulness in how He provided for the calling He gave me to move to Czech and His faithfulness in providing everything I’ve needed since I moved here.

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Phillip Phillip’s “Home” – I only bought it in August and yet it is already the most played song on my iTunes having even overtaken songs I’ve owned and loved for years. All the lyrics are wonderful but there’s something about the repeated “Just know you’re not alone, ‘cause I’m going to make this place your home.” that became almost like a promise to me as I went through, and continue to go through, transition.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? happier
– thinner or fatter? I don’t own scales here but when I checked in NI I discovered I’m lighter.. That was before Christmas though.
– richer or poorer? Not sure.

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d seen more of the area around where I live – but with colder temperatures those adventures will now have to wait until the spring.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sleeping too late in the morning, giving me just enough time to dress and run out the door (admittedly that running out the door happened most often at 6.15am).

18. How did you spend Christmas?
Back in Northern Ireland with family.

19. What was your favourite TV program?
Grey’s Anatomy continues to be one of the shows I watch most consistently.

20. What were your favourite books of the year?
Oh goodness, that’s a tough ask. I’ve only blogged about six of the books I read in 2013 – I hope to catch up with that but I don’t think I read more than twenty which is ridiculous. I think Believing God has stuck with me a lot and I can see a recent read, The Insanity of God, doing the same.

21. What was your favourite music from this year?
I’m still loving The Rend Collective and Mumford and Sons. I have an “Irish Playlist” that includes Foy Vance, Duke Special, U2, The Script, Damien Rice, Glen Hansard and others that I love on rainy days.

22. What was your favourite film of the year?
Despicable Me 2 was amazing. And I saw BraveHeart for the first time this year and it was great too!

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had a rather relaxed 25th birthday – I had breakfast with Kristin and Caleb and went to youth group in the evening. It was a wonderful birthday weekend though and thanks to the variety of how long it takes things to arrive here it felt like I celebrated my birthday for a long time!

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
On and off I documented five things each day that I was thankful for, something they recommend you do at MTI to help you see the beauty in the hard things when you’re adjusting to life in a new culture on the mission field. I wish I’d done it more consistently!

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Layers. Lots and lots of layers. I can’t seem to buy enough thick socks before others get holes and I discovered the joy of thermal leggings.

26. What kept you sane?
Documenting my joys via photographs and the incredible community of people who are around me, who follow this journey and encourage me.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
How to drive on the right side of the road!


No comments:

Post a Comment